After the defendant in a civil case files an “Answer,” the Mediation Division reviews the case to see if it meets certain requirements. If the case is selected, a mediation session is scheduled and letters are mailed to the parties. You can also request mediation by writing “request mediation” either on the complaint form or answer form. If you forget to write it on the form, you can also call the Mediation Division at 841-8167. The assigned judge may also refer your case to mediation if it hasn’t been to mediation already. If we happen to schedule your mediation on a date or time that won’t work for you, let us know. We’ll contact the other party and try to reschedule it for a date and time that works for both parties.

Remember, mediation is a voluntary process. If you don’t want to have a mediation, just call the Mediation Division and we will cancel it.